Sunday, January 29, 2012

Truth in Decorating and My Art Studio

I am crazy about decorating magazines.   I always have been.  There's just something about the photographs in them that make my heart go pitter pat.  I study the textures, the arrangements of furnishings, the ways that patterns are combined, the colours.   I was reading "Canadian House and Home" in July 2011 and stumbled across an article written by Lynda Reeve.   She was talking about the miniseries of "Mildred Pierce" starring Kate Winslet.  At one point in the show, Kate's new husband has redecorated their house and has added a wall heralding Mildred's accomplishments as a restaurant owner and pie maker extraordinaire.   Mildred is frankly embarrassed but her husband tells her that this gives the rooms warmth and character and makes it come alive.   I've always believed that decorating a room is about combining what one loves and values in a pleasing and comforting manner.   Have you ever been in a room  that is devoid of character?    It is disconcerting and unsettling not to be able to get a sense of a person from the way that they decorate.

Not surprisingly, I am also passionate about magazines and books that show artists' studios.   Here are a few of my favourites:

Creative Time and Space:   Making room for Making Art by Rice Freeman-Zachery
Organizing Your Craft Space by Jo Packham
Where Women Create:  Book of Inspiration by Jo Packham and Jenny Doh
Art Making and Studio Spaces by Lynne Perrella
Where Women Create:   Inspiring Work Spaces of Extraordinary Women by Jo Packham
Inside the Creative Studio:  Inspiration and Ideas for your Art and Craft Space  by Cate Coulacos Prato

Cloth Paper Scissors Studios magazine
Where Women Create magazine

That being said, I thought I'd give you a tour of my sanctuary, my art studio on the second floor of our home.   Welcome....



4 comments:

Sugar Lump Studios said...

I love your creative space Heather - and the beautiful antique pieces you have surrounding you! Glad to see you posting! :)

Aimeslee Winans said...

Heather, is that a Kandinsky print rug? Love it! And I love the background on your page spread, plus...Mildred Pierce, omg. Delightful and unexpected. xoxo

Jo C. said...

Beautiful - it's so refreshing to see an art studio filled with wood furnishing and natural light and not the usual plastic. Such a serene and grounded energy to create in.

Lorraine said...

I like all the solid wood furniture you have..looks a lovely place to create