Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Philatelic Tribute to the Titanic

I have an obsession with postage stamps.   I'm often in the post office....I know you'll find that hard to believe....and when I am, I find myself drawn to the display of commemorative, collectable stamp sets.   Well, to my delight, the 100th anniversary of the Titanic and Canada's connection to it was the subject of the beauties that I've woven into this art journal page.   I've never stopped being fascinated by the Titanic disaster.  I went to see Robert Ballard at the Ontario Science Centre a few years ago.  I was mesmerized by his telling of how he discovered the wreckage and was even more moved by the fact that his voice cracked as he told of finding "personal items" on the ocean floor.....a boot, a doll, a bowl....things that made the discovery "human" to him.     I've also visited the Halifax cemeteries where so many of the victims, particularly second, third and crew whose families couldn't afford to bring them home, are buried.  Even after 100 years, the stories attached to this great by fated ship survive in the hearts and imaginations of people of all ages.

1 comment:

Aimeslee Winans said...

Pretty page, Heather. Hope you are well. Come visit me sometime, xoxo.